Hi to All,

Well, it has been quiet a week. I'm expecting my last litter from Busy B. She was due on July 4th. On Wednesday, July 1st, Busy stopped eating. That is one of the first signs that she is getting ready to have her babies. I took her temperature and she was normal at 101.1. Before dogs whelp, their temperature goes from 101.1 down below 98.5. When their bodies warm back up they start their labor.

I watched her closely all morning and everything was quite normal. I had her out in the house yard, and when I checked on her she was laying in the sun sleeping. I was sitting at my desk, paying my bills, and I heard a puppy crying. It was yelling. Running to the door, I found Busy with a puppy in her mouth. I gently took it away from her and put her in a crate. The puppy was caked with mud. She must have dug a hole and delivered this puppy in the hole (den).

I called my son to come to the house right away. When Scott got there I asked him to go look for a hole in the dog yard and then see if there were any puppies in the hole. I gave the muddy puppy a quick bath then dried him off. I placed him in the warming box and went out to see if Scott had found any other puppies in the yard.

I found Scott in a hole, in the yard, up to his waist. I could hear a puppy crying. Scott passed me the puppy, which I took and put in the warming box with the other puppy. Then I went back out to help Scott get out of the hole. (I have attached some great videos). There was only one puppy in the hole.

When I got back inside, Busy had had another puppy, so we were up to 3. I call Dr. Norton and he said to come right over. He did a cesarean and we were back home in less than 2 hours. She gave birth to 11 puppies, 5 boys and 6 girls. All 11 puppies are very healthy.

Busy is an experienced mother. She knows how to clean and stimulate the puppies. Just in case you don't know this, puppies don't go to the bathroom on their own at birth. They have to be stimulated to do so. She is doing a great job of cleaning them. Her milk came in by Thursday morning.

For the next couple of days I slept on the couch with the baby monitor at my head. I set the alarm clock to wake me up every 2 hours (if the monitor doesn't wake me up first). It is important to check the puppies and make sure that the mother doesn't lay on any of them. There is always a chance that the puppies could crawl away from their mother and get cold. So I'm on duty 24 hours a day. The room where the puppies and mother are is kept at 98 degrees. (It is so hot!) Dr Norton says that if the puppies are all in a tight little group sleeping, then the room is too cold. You want to see the puppies spread out while sleeping.

Around a week of age, I will take the puppies and mother to the Milky Way. That is when I get to sleep back in my own bed. Once the mother and puppies are in the Milky Way, the mother can go outside as often as she wants and the puppies stay warm and cozy in the whelping box. Once they are in the Milky Way you can come and visit. Please schedule an appointment.

I have attached some pictures of Busy & her babies.

Laurie Weaver

Return to Busy & Zoom's Litter Information